Friday, March 25, 2011

"Maktub"...and so it is written


Alot can be accomplished through teamwork
Yesterday was our final presentation to the client which was held at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Accra.  Heading into the presentation I was a bit nervous knowing that some of our recommendations may not be met by the entire Board of Directors with enthusiasm but I was thrilled to hear the client's rave reviews on our project results and was pleasantly surprised to see not only our Country General Manager but the clients President and Board Chairman.  What a satisfying feeling knowing that our work made such a big difference that even the Big Guys came out the support the event. 


View from IBM offce in Accra (Statium, Independance Sq and client office in background)
The client treated our entire IBM team to dinner at a local restaurant and I had the pleasure of hosting Dr. Kwaku Osafo, the Chairman of the Board for our client at our table.  Dr. Osafo is an extremely down to earth and knowledgeable gentleman and runs an economic development consulting firm in Ghana.  He studied at Standford, speaks many languages and has visited 117 countries.  We had wonderful conversations about his travels, his school days in California, his economic development work in Africa and his traveling stories.  What a pleasure it was for me to have met his acquaintance and to have enjoyed such a fun evening with the client team.
Dr. Osafo and I at dinner.   Our IBM client group (minus Ranga)

IBM and Client team
But it's now Friday and my last day in Ghana.  Seven of our team spent the day in Accra shopping at a local market.  On the bus ride home, we enjoyed the dried plantains and coconut cookies from the street vendors whom we now feel comfortable buying from out of the van window.  I'm even getting good at haggling with the artisans.  It was a great relaxing day and exactly what I needed after such a hectic work week.
Artisan market
  When I arrived in Ghana one month ago, I had no idea just how fast the time would go.  I remember stepping down out of the plane 4 weeks ago Saturday in my jeans and roots hoodie wondering how the heck I was going to handle this heat....and it WAS HOT and sticky every single day.  I can't say I handled that part well at all.

But I've grown use to it here and could probably stay forever were it
not for my family at home who I miss so dearly.  Life is much less complicated here and I’m learning to love the simplicity of it all.  It's funny how at the beginning of this trip everything was such a shock and I constantly took pictures, asked questions and blogged.  But I've gotten use to the traffic, the street vendors, the honking horns, spicy food, the sandy sidewalks and red dust on my shoes.  There are fewer starring people now (or maybe I just don't notice), and I think I walk a lot slower than I did when I arrived.  I enjoy my meals more (don't rush) and look forward to a refreshing Star beer each night at dinner.  I know my hard bed and pillow are like heaven now at the end of each day, although I still can't manage to sleep much.

Some of the things I don't think I'd ever get use though and these include:
  • the loud music, 
  • the intermittent internet connectivity, 
  • men urinating where ever and when ever they feel the urge (even if it's in front of you on sidewalk),
  • only getting BBC/CNN and soccer on the TV.  
  • Being man handled in the crowds
  • The volume of food they tend to serve at meals
  • Rough roads
  • Power outages 
  • And the poverty and the struggle of many   
I've had wonderful experiences here and can really only summarize it as saying it's been everything I imagined and nothing I imagined.  The people are friendlier, the environment safer, the countryside more beautiful.  I'm fortunate to have seen Cape Coast, Kakum National Forest, Mt. Gemi, Akzombo, Volta Region, the ocean, beach parties, Ghanaian home cooking, Tema, Accra, and the list goes on.  I met many people from all over the world including India, Nigeria, England, Switzerland, Russia, US, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, China, Germany, South Africa...and the list goes on.  My team teased me as I usually knew by name most of the other guests at the hotel.  It's amazing what conversations can be opened with a simple "Good morning".  But I learned early on in the trip that many local and foreign visitors seem to interpret "hi, how are you" as "let me give you my number"...we got a good chuckle out of the forwardness of some individuals on a few occasions....and no, I never did give out my number.

But as I wind down my day (still packing to do, dinner with the team and no doubt some sad farewells) I reflect on this experience as truly life changing..both personally and professionally.  I thoroughly enjoyed consulting with external clients and perhaps I need to look for opportunities in that area of the business.  Personally, I come away with an insight into the many cultural backgrounds of my IBM team mates who are each unique and wonderful in their own way.  I've learned a lot about my own tolerance levels and areas for further development. I never quite got use to Ghanaian time and the tardiness with which our team activities got under way. :-) Theo after all, taught me well of the importance of people's time.  But in hind sight, this experience has taught me each of us can and should contribute in what ever way we can to make this world a better place.  I also come away with a profound respect for Ghana, it’s culture and most importantly, it’s people.  Barbara, our CDS lead has been a godsend for us and Francis, well, he holds a very special place in my heart and I wish him well.    

So just to let you know, Joanne and I are off to Kenya tomorrow where we'll officially be "off the map".  I look forward to yet another African adventure.  I’ll be sure to blog about it when I arrive home in a week.  Until then....my Ghanaian adventure is official winding down…

Meda ase p Ghana!  Yεbεhyia!

1 comment:

  1. What a great adventure.

    You can definitely say you survived something which you would otherwise never had encountered in your life.

    I trust all the hard work is quickly set aside for some much needed R&R in Africa.

    Watch out for the Lions :)

    ReplyDelete