Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Kristina's First Thoughts on her CSC Assignment to Ghana

This is my first blog attempt.  I'm still trying to figure this all out and for those of you who know me, I'm not very tech savvy.

I'm going to use this blog while I'm on my Corporate Service Corps assignment to keep everyone up to date on my activities.  I must say that so far, the preparation in getting ready for this assignment has already been worth it.  The people I've met (Joanne is quickly becoming like a sister) and what I've already learned about the Ghana culture far exceeds what I expected at this stage in the game.  That being said, it hasn't been easy either.  At times, I've been overwhelmed by how much preparation is required to leave on assignment for 5 weeks.  I've been working hard to have my client engagements well ahead of this years plan before I leave and organizing home life has been a challenge and an emotional journey I didn't quite expect.  The time I had hoped to spend with my girls has unfortunately been dwarfed by the volume of preparations. But what I will gain by this whole experience will far outweigh the sacrifices not just for myself, but for my girls who will learn that being a strong independent person with goals and aspirations will lead you on wonderful adventures in life and, learning to appreciate the world outside of our own comfort zones and sharing your skills with others will hopefully lead to greater appreciation of our uniquenesses.  After all, it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

On a rather humorous note, I'm calling this my deja vu experience.  It seems as though everything I've had to do to get ready, I've had to redo, sometimes more than once...from multiple attempts to get my shots (the travel clinic was out and I had to go back twice to get them all done), re-booking my flights and post assignment trip (Egypt didn't pan out but Kenya will be great) and then having been reassigned to a new client three weeks before departure.  I can't help but chuckle at the pattern and am thankful that I'm comfortable with change and just "winging" it.  IBM has taught me well in this regard.  I am however, looking forward to getting on the plane in NY with my new sister Joanne.  At that point, all I will be able to say is, "what's done is done, and what's not will have to wait 5 weeks".  Oh ya, and..."Here we come Ghana!".

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time KB. I'm sure it will be an adventure of a lifetime and I look forward to seeing lots of pictures and hearing all your tales. I hope Ghana knows what it is in for with your arrival much less IBMs invasion :)

    ReplyDelete